Filed under: pest control - pest types — admin @ 2:06 am on the December 18, 2009
Manchester pest control is an essential service today with the number of pests and subsequent infestations on the rise. One of the most common pests, and one of the most dreaded by business owners and homeowners alike, is the rat. Manchester pest control companies certainly have to deal with more and more rats, as are those in other areas of the country. However, there are plenty of things you can do to prevent rats becoming a problem in your property.
In order to avoid calling the pest control Manchester brigade in, you first have to find out about how rats get into property in the first place. They have a very flexible bone structure, meaning that they can get through even the smallest of holes. They have been known to get through openings as small as half an inch in diameter. More worryingly still, they can climb and jump well. All of the above, when combined with the fact that they are opportunistic, mean that they are amongst the majority of cases dealt with by Manchester pest control.
So what can you do to prevent a rat infestation? The 6 tips below will help:
- Clear away any rubbish in your garden or around your property. Whether you have old furniture out there or piles of leaves, any items that can provide cover and protection will attract rats.
- Maintain your garden, if you have one. Any overgrown shrubs, plants and trees will also provide rats with a haven in which they will thrive so it is only a matter of time until they find a way into your home.
- Establish a perimeter around your garden. Using a border of gravel that is 2 feet in diameter will deter rats and prevent them from burrowing into the soil as well.
- If you have a compost heap then contain it. Using compost bins is far more desirable than allowing a heap of potential food to build up. Manchester pest control also reports the same applies for compactors outside business premises. Keep the area clean and free from potential food.
- Routinely check the wires and vents leading outside of the house or business premises because the loosening of such fixtures can provide rats with holes to squeeze through. If there are any holes then fill them as soon as you can.
- Keep any doors shut whenever they are not manned. Rats will quite happily invite themselves indoors if and when the opportunity arises and an open door is the prime opportunity.
So there you have it – a little about rats and the best 6 tips to help you in the fight against them. All of the above points will help you to keep rats out but if they do get in then Manchester pest control companies can provide the solution you need to get your premises free and clear of your rodent enemies. Although prevention is better than cure, you will always have an effective backup available just in case.